   Re: Redirecting XML files?

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:20:45 -0700

> On the server side, there's the question of how to flag that such
> a redirection is needed.  Different servers have different solutions
> for that, and I suspect you're trying to avoid needing to spend
> the effort in the server to see if it's needed.  You implied there
> was structural logic that could be applied to speed things up;
> that's the approach I'd take, then!

Actually, Dave Winer was talking about an old issue which is that most web
sites consist of passive contents only.  Most web sites are hosted by ISPs
and contents are poured in using FTP.  Active components such as scripts,
CGI, or servlets are not available and changes to the server is not even
dreamed of.

This issue came up almost two years ago during a dinner (many Net folks were
there although I can only remember Dr. Goldfarb and Dave Siegel) in context
of XML.  Our conclusion was that shrinkwrapped vertical website builder
applications that generates XML contents will be coming soon to solve the
most of the problem.  I think we overestimated the rate of change because
most of us saw the problem as a business opportunity.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse

(un)subscribe xml-dev