   Re: Confused about & in entity literal

  • From: roddey@us.ibm.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:39:44 -0600

>> Otherwise, if it happens to look like a reasonable entity reference, I guess
you
>> are supposed to ignore it and just pass it through as is? If it does not look
>> like a reasonable entity reference, then you give an error?
>
>Again, see section 4.5 (etc) which is pretty clear about this.
>
>Try running your parser through a conformance test suite -- e.g. James
>Clark's XMLTEST and Sun's (which incorporates some examples from the
>XML spec, avoiding any issues about interpretation).

That's what got me confused in the first place. My original implementation was
just to ignore ampersands in the original scan of the entity value. But, if raw
ampersands are not allowed, then I'm just asking whether I'm obligated to prove
that any ampersand is at least provisionally part of a general entity (even if
it later turns out not to be a legal one) during the scan of the entity value.
And, if I think its not, that it should be considered in error?

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)