   Re: Confused about & in entity literal

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:25:03 -0400

roddey@us.ibm.com wrote:

> That's what got me confused in the first place. My original implementation was
> just to ignore ampersands in the original scan of the entity value.

Be sure to greedily expand character references, though; the ability
to define "lt" and the like depends on that ability.

> But, if raw
> ampersands are not allowed, then I'm just asking whether I'm obligated to prove
> that any ampersand is at least provisionally part of a general entity (even if
> it later turns out not to be a legal one) during the scan of the entity value.

BNF rule 9 says that EntityValues can't contain random  & except
as part of a well-formed PEReference or Reference, so it's a WF
error (which you must catch) to have them, even if the entity is
never referenced.

All you actually have to do is to ensure that the next character
(if not #, see above) is a NAMESTRT character, and that all characters
until ; are either NAME or NAMESTRT characters.  There is no need (and
in fact it is forbidden) to look up the supposed entity name anywhere.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)