   Re: xsl editor needed

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: Steve Schow <sjs@portal.com>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 20:07:34 -0700

Steve Schow wrote:

> Frankly, what the world is going to need are tools that you use to
> "styleize" XML....  Not "XSL Editors".  It may be that XSL is being used
> under the covers to "style-ize", and as such....you would effectively be
> editing XSL with the tool.   But rather than make a tool that just makes it
> easy to edit XSL....how about a tool that you use to think graphically about
> the layout you desire and then it figures out what XSL to use?

Saaaay ... how about a CSS editor?  :-)

I looked at Mozilla M6 and its XML/CSS support, and was quite pleased.
I can even use parts of XLink to make URLs work, though I don't quite
have the pointers changing correctly when they go over those links.

Yes, yes -- CSS doesn't let you restructure your XML, can't solve the
table of contents or indexing problems, can't construct internal links.
That can be done on servers if needed, or with an XSL first pass, and
isn't always needed anyway.

But even if you think that XSL will be the One True Stylesheet, you'd
have to acknowledge there's a need for something to handle the formatting
objects.  And it should be straightforward to make that module handle CSS
along with FOs.  (Whatever you do, don't insist on rendering to HTML!!)

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)