   question for a friend

  • From: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:14:14 -0700

Hello,

A friend of mine asked me a question I didn't feel like I gave him a
good enough answer for, so I bring it to you...

say we have a part of a document below (probably a part of a very long
document).  Yes i KNOW this is misnested.  this is the point.  he was
saying that this kind of context couldn't be represented using a
well-formed structure:

<realestate>
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
<newyork>
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
</realestate>

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
</new york>

where the two paragraphs in the middle are "realestate:newyork", but
only if they are taken together.

No matter how I represented the structure above in a well-formed manner,
I couldn't quite pull off the "only when taken together" part.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

lisa

http://www.finetuning.com