   Re: question for a friend

  • From: Robin Cover <robin@isogen.com>
  • To: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 06:34:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Lisa Rein wrote:

> document).  Yes i KNOW this is misnested.  this is the point.  he was
> saying that this kind of context couldn't be represented using a

[...]

> No matter how I represented the structure above in a well-formed manner,
> I couldn't quite pull off the "only when taken together" part.
>
> Any suggestions?

The question is not entirely clear to me, but if you're looking
for markup strategies used to represent non-hierarchical
structures (or structures with multiple overlapping
hierarchies predicated upon multiple analytical perspectives)
you may want to look at hints in:

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/topics.html#hierarchy

   "SGML/XML and (Non-) Hierarchy"

The TEI teams in particular have dealt with this problem,
since the encoding of text for literary and linguistic
features often forces one to reckon with four or five
"concurrent" hierarchies -- and SGML/XML (sans CONCUR)
forces you to choose.  The dogma of SGML changed somewhere
along the line from a simplistic OHCO model ("ordered
hierarchy of content objects") to something like
"non-hierarchy / multiple-hierarchy is the rule rather
than the exception".

Cheers,

Robin Cover

(un)subscribe xml-dev