   Re: XSL Debate, Leventhal responds to Stephen Deach

  • From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "Heikki Toivonen" <heikki@citec.fi>, "'XML Developers' List'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:13:38 -0400

Heikki Toivonen wrote:

>Jonathan Borden wrote:
>
>> To suggest, as Leventhal does, that work on XSL be
>> suspended until 'major'
>> browser vendors have completed implementation of CSS2, is a
>
>Actually, suspension was more like my view. Perhaps you should read
>Michael's last mail again to see his view.

The more I read, the more pathetic the argument against XSL sounds. Let me
quote from Leventhal's last e-mail:

>But it was not actually when I read Ken's article that the "war" began,
>it was
>a bit earlier when I read Tim Bray and Jon Bosak's article in Scientific
>American where it was stated that XSL was "the" stylesheet language for
>XML.
>In demographic terms Scientific American readers are one of the most
>influential publication-defined communities on the planet.  It was
>then that I said "This is war, it has to be a war."

Please, have some respect. The Scientific American article is an
accomplishment. They wrote it, Leventhal didn't. This just sounds like sour
grapes.

and further:

>And on these points alone it is clear that the correct action for W3C
members
> remains, clearly, to vote against an XSL Recommendation.

    Noted and filed. Whine all you want about XSL and its so called
failings. I for one am using XSL even in its early implementation to do real
work. The people who use my application will need a browser which supports
client side XSL+DOM+ECMAScript. This can be accomplished via Java,COM,XPCOM
etc. I suspect that IE5 and Mozilla will be able to handle this. If your
company's  browser isn't up to the task, then so be it, but in this context,
this whining about XSL and pleading for people to stop using it (and for the
W3C not to support it ) sounds alot like a vendor with an agenda.

    If my comments are inflamatory I apologize. They are in reaction to a
done discussion that I have been hoping will just go away.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest