   Re: XML Editors - Word 2000??

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:57:39 -0400

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> Perhaps the reason I don't miss a more GUIed environment is the
> overhead.  I like to be able to quickly throw together a DTD and type
> up documents, script to them in e.g. Python and SAX, and in general
> get onwards.  Massive customization with style sheets is affordable, I
> suppose, if you're putting together a project in the "Billion Dollar"
> cathegory.

The best XML editors allow you to use a tags-on mode with no
customization. I've used AdeptEditor, Documentor and XMetaL in this
manner. The customizations are for one or two-DTD end-users.

> > People want an interface that *is as easy to use* as MSWord.
>
> Well, I don't really find Word all that easy to use, but that's a side
> point.  IME, people ask for Word to be protected from seeing
> too much structure.  Which is what I think is a mistake.

I think that Word starts out being easy to use but as you try to do
sophisticated things it falls apart because you have no way of correlating
your mental model with Word's data model. Without a "tags view" there is
no way to figure out what Word is "thinking." So yes, an XML editor could
actually be easier for complicated tasks. In fact, WordPerfect is probably
easier for complicated tasks because of its "tags view."

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"The new revolutionaries believe the time has come for an aggressive
move against our oppressors. We have established a solid beachhead
on Friday. We now intend to fight vigorously for 'casual Thursdays.'
  -- who says America's revolutionary spirit is dead?

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)