   RE: XML for forms

  • From: Gavin McKenzie <gmckenzi@JetForm.com>
  • To: 'Don Park' <donpark@quake.net>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:56:44 -0400

Don,

The popular media seems to already be trying to whip this issue into
something sensational.

The XFDL and XFA technologies are *very* different. For my part, I
continually try to spread the word that XFA is not intended to be
competitive to HTML.  Rather, we are looking to the successful evolution of
technologies like [X]HTML and SVG as one way that we can deliver a
browser-based experience via the presentation of XFA through HTML and SVG,
etc.  I think it would be foolish for anyone to attempt to invent a markup
language that competes with HTML.  XFA doesn't.

I steer clear from calling XFA a markup language.  Rather it is a higher
level abstraction of a form, its presentation, business logic, etc. ---
think of it as a modeling language.  The reality is that JetForm's customers
live in a transitional world spanning the realities of paper, thick-client
applications, and browser-based solutions such as HTML.  XFA models the form
independent of these particular realities.

A colleague of mine (Rob McDougall) has a further analogy.  He describes how
within specific disciplines there are 'special purpose vocabularies' that
facilitate communication in a more succinct and accurate manner.  For
instance, physicists communicate in such a vocabulary with words that convey
concepts specific to the realm of physics in a very concise manner.  The
words themselves are more successful at communicating when compared to (in
my case) plain English.  It may be possible to communicate in this realm
using plain English that is free of this special vocabulary, but it will
surely be more wordy, difficult, and more prone to missing the subtle
nuances that are embedded within the special vocabulary.

Note how this special vocabulary is not competitive to the larger language,
rather it is complementary.

XFA is one such special vocabulary.

Gavin.

Gavin F. McKenzie          mailto:gmckenzi@jetform.com
Systems Architect          Vox:+1(613)230-3676
JetForm Corporation         or:+1(613)751-4800 ext 5277
http://www.jetform.com     Fax:+1(613)751-4864

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)