   Re: XML for forms

  • From: "Trevor Croll" <litebook@powerup.com.au>
  • To: "Gavin McKenzie" <gmckenzi@JetForm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:01:06 +1000

Thanks Gavin - I agree KISS keep it short and simple is the way to go:

For a forms input and printing function I looked at the possibilities of:

Data:                                    XML format for data specified by a
DTD:
Screen:                                XSL format for screen
Adding data to a Screen:        Xlink
Taking data from the screen    XPointer
(Some Xpointer or Xlink specification for identifying the data on a form and
putting data into a screen)

Would this then be using the existing basic XML specs rather than building
new ones

Perhaps your XFA is really just another way of including all the XSL,
Xpointer. Xlink, XML etc and packaging it into a specification that is a
selected set of the these?

I really must study your XFA in much more detail but it does seem to have
the functionality I am looking for.
I could possibly use your Jetform forms designer as part of my overall
package approach. My market target was going to be the smaller business and
the big business to small customer, Plumbing supplier to client plumber as
an example.

I was going to try to produce a package that allowed business to communicate
with each other through emailed encripted forms. - not really an accounting
package more a filing system.

regards Trevor Croll

Your views would be most welcome