   SAX writer

  • From: Mark Cheek <mcheek@NetVendor.com>
  • To: "'listserv:java-xml list'" <java-xml-interest@cybercom.net>, "'listserv:xml-dev list'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:00:26 -0400

Dear XML Xperts,
I have a project that parses an xml document using class
com.ibm.xml.parsers.DOMParser.  I am guessing the parser parses the xml
file into an org.w3c.dom.Document object.  Then, I create a graphical
DOMTRee (extends JTree) with the Document object and everything works
smoothly.

Herein lies the problem - my user will perform various tasks on the GUI
tree that cause my Document to call removeNodeFromParent(..) and
insertNode(..),etc.   I now need to serialize my new Document object to
disk as an xml file.  I cannot find any DOM classes or methods to do
this.. can anyone help?  I do not want to use IBM's or Sun's DOMWriter
classes as we are not sure yet which parser library we are going to
implement.

One other question - I like the idea of using SAX instead of DOM to be
able to drop in any parser dynamically... Has anyone seen any code that
uses SAX to create an xml object in code, then make changes, then write
that xml object back into a file? I am not finding much sample SAX code
out there to help us explore the power of an event-driven model.
Especially - writing an xml object to an xml file with SAX.

thanks for your time,
-mark cheek
atlanta, ga

(un)subscribe xml-dev