   Java XML and DOM utility classes

  • From: "Chris Hubick" <chris@hubick.com>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:01:09 +1000

I have seen quite a few requests for various DOM and XML utilities in Java.
In the past I have needed and implemented many of the same functions people
are asking for.  The following classes might serve as a starting point or
save other people the trouble of doing the same thing.

I provide NO warranty with any of these, and they are free for anyone to
use/copy/modify, although I would appreciate being credited where possible.
Some of them have obvious limitations and fixes are appreciated.

DOM utilities:
http://www.hubick.com/software/Java/Doc/com.hubick.util.markup.dom.DOMUtil.h
tml

These include implementation neutral utilities for writing a DOM tree to an
XML stream or string; cloning a DOM Node (even over
documents/implementations); child Element access by index or name/value (tag
name, attribute value, or both);  Node equality testing (even over
implementations);

Build a DOM tree (using any implementation) using SAX events:
http://www.hubick.com/software/Java/Doc/com.hubick.util.markup.xml.sax.SAXDO
MHandler.html

XML utilities:
http://www.hubick.com/software/Java/Doc/com.hubick.util.markup.xml.XMLUtil.h
tml
Utils for escaping and unescaping XML references in strings; escaping quotes
in attribute values.

My general Java utilities page:
http://www.hubick.com/software/Java/java.htm

---