   Re: More chaos coming down the pike

  • From: "Dave Carlson" <dcarlson@ontogenics.com>
  • To: "Mike Spreitzer" <spreitze@parc.xerox.com>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:57:26 -0600

Mike,
Thanks for your summary.  I would add to your list:

OMG's adopted XMI spec that defines:
    MOF metamodel -> DTD  &  MOF model -> XML
including:
    UML -> DTD  &  UML -> XML

The XMI spec appears to be gaining support of the UML vendors, but I'm also
curious if anyone else is using XMI for other DTD generation activities.
I'm building a UML model for representing business rules, and am
experimenting with generation of a correponding DTD using IBM's XMI toolkit
available on alphaworks.  So far, this approach seems to allow a much better
analysis/design process than "hand-coding" a DTD, or other XML schema.

Dave