   Re: More chaos coming down the pike

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:15:27 -0400

Dave Carlson wrote:

> The XMI spec appears to be gaining support of the UML vendors, but I'm also
> curious if anyone else is using XMI for other DTD generation activities.
> I'm building a UML model for representing business rules, and am
> experimenting with generation of a correponding DTD using IBM's XMI toolkit
> available on alphaworks.  So far, this approach seems to allow a much better
> analysis/design process than "hand-coding" a DTD, or other XML schema.

I'd be interested in more information on this last comment.

Also I'd like your opinion on the maintainability of this route. It
seems to me that once you generate the DTD and distribute it to your
business partners, internal customers and so forth, it takes on a life
of its own separate from the UML model. Changes must now be considered
in terms of backwards compatibility at the XML, not UML level.
Documentation is mostly at the XML level, etc.

 Paul Prescod

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)