   Re: [Fwd: ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late)]

  • From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
  • To: James Robertson <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>, xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:43:14 -0400

At 09:53 AM 8/30/99 +1000, James Robertson wrote:

>So what does this mean in practice.

For all intents and purposes, on the Web, a big fat nothing. Web browsers
don't do namespaces.

>If namespaces *and* DTDs are used, I presume
>that the namespaces are explicitly written into
>the DTDs.

Huh? No.

>Does this mean, I would have to type:
>
>         <strict:p>A paragraph
>
>instead of just

You *only* have to manage the namespaces like that when you're blending
them (e.g. inserting a portion of XHTML markup in an XML or SVG document,
perhaps), or doing something else that requires it.

Joe Web Developer isn't going to be doing that. They'll be writing XHTML
just like they write HTML today.

>If so, I can tell you now, it's all going to
>fail.
>
>(PS. I know the answer is probably in the spec,
>but too much to do this morning - no time to
>go off and read yet another spec.)

Well, if people are going to comment on the suitability of XHTML 1.0 to go
to Recommendation, it would be nice if they did indeed "go off and read yet
another spec."

At least half the melodramatics would be gone if people would read instead
of assume.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Coming in September --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes