   Re: XHTML & Schemas

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Prescod writes:

 > Do you agree that it will be vital to be able to declare whether an
 > element was meant to validate against the "strict" or "loose"
 > schema (if indeed there are both)?

I'm less certain about that -- I'm still trying to decide whether the
document or the application should decide what schema to apply.

With SGML, in *theory* it was the document that made the declaration,
but in practice, it was usually the application, at least for
non-trivial production systems: the systems mostly keep track of the
status of the document through the production chain and swap entity
catalogues or activate parameter entities to get the correct DTD
flavour at each stage.

I know that it's the wrong thing to have the document point to its
stylesheet, and right now, I'm leaning towards considering a schema as
a specialized stylesheet (or a stylesheet as a kind of schema).

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev