   Re: an unfilled need

  • From: "Martin Bryan" <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
  • To: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:37:12 +0100

> > One of the techniques the XML/EDI community have been propounding
> vs proposing?  I'd be curious whether alternative approaches have been
> examined, or what alternative techniques were discussed within the scope
> of this particular approach.

Many alternative approaches have been proposed, some of which include things
like using the database keys as element and attribute names directly.

> > is the use
> > of namespaced attributes to point to semantic specifications using the
> > mechanism or an application specific mechanism. Basically the namespace
> > the attribute points to the rules for interpreting the attribute value
> > the value of the attribute points to the definition of the semantics
> > are to be applied to the element.
> This doesn't require actually trying to fetch information identified by a
> URI.  But it also leaves open the question of which level(s) of semantics
> are tied to the namespaces in question.

Oh so true. This why CEN/ISSS has recently set up a Defining and Managing
Semantics and Datatypes project group to discuss just this issue at a
pan-European level, and to determine what best practices are required.

Martin Bryan

Martin Bryan, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029 E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com
For more information about The SGML Centre contact
For more information about the European Commission's
Open Information Interchange (OII) initiative contact
For more information about the ISIS XML/EDI Project contact

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)