   Re: XML Search Engine Holy War - Attributes vs. Elements

  • From: "Ken North" <ken_north@compuserve.com>
  • To: "DuCharme, Robert" <DuCharmR@moodys.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 14:38:07 -0700

DuCharme, Robert wrote:
> The sole purpose of ID type attributes is to uniquely
> identify elements, and unique identifiers ought to be pretty handy when
> searching for information. A system that can quickly locate elements with
> particular value in an IDREF type attribute would be very useful in link
> maintenance and implementation.
>
> Come to think of it, a system that left out element content might be more
> useful than one that left out attributes. Of course I'm kidding, but a
nice
> thing about implementing storage of attributes is that they map more
easily
> to relational databases where ID and IDREF attributes can be easily
indexed
> for searching.

It's probably appropriate to make a distinction between precise matches and
similarity searching. Using unique identifiers and indexing attributes will
improve performance of the former. On the other hand, a search engine such
as AT&T Whirl can recognize patterns in data. That enables it to do
similarity matches, even in the absence of unique identifiers.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North
knorth@my-deja.com   ken_north@compuserve.com

Java Developer's Conference, San Jose, California
October 17-21, 1999 http://www.javadevcon.com

XML One Fall, Santa Clara, CA
November 8-11, 1999 http://www.xmlconference.com/xmlusa