   Re: URNs in SYSTEM declarations

  • From: Jerome McDonough <jmcdonou@library.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:53:18 -0400

At 12:35 PM 10/20/99 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Next question... do any XML parsers support URNs?  Do they use these
>resolution protocols?

None, to the best of my knowledge.  Justin Couch, who's been working on the
IETF WG on URNs, proposed a file-based resolution system that I suspect
could be integrated into a lot of XML parsers without too much fuss.  You can
find his proposal at
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/java/urn/file_based_resolver.html.
It would only give you a local solution, instead of a global one, but that
could
be enough for many uses.

>URNs feel a lot like FPIs to me in terms of their resolvability and lack of
>infrastructure thereof, and I often wonder if they really belong mixed with
>URLs. Oh well.

Many places (including the university where I work) would probably switch to
a URN based system of tracking resources tomorrow, *if* Navigator and
IE both supported URN resolution.  Occassionally when stricken with fever
I consider going to work for Microsoft just to get URN resolution incorporated
in
to the damned browsers.....

Jerome McDonough -- jmcdonou@library.Berkeley.EDU  |  (......)
Library Systems Office, 386 Doe, U.C. Berkeley     |  \ *  * /
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000    (510) 642-5168          |  \  <>  /
"Well, it looks easy enough...."                   |   \ -- /  SGNORMPF!!!
         -- From the Famous Last Words file        |    ||||