   Re: URNs in SYSTEM declarations

  • From: Matthew Gertner <matthew@praxis.cz>
  • To: Jerome McDonough <jmcdonou@library.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:58:13 +0200

> Many places (including the university where I work) would probably switch to
> a URN based system of tracking resources tomorrow, *if* Navigator and
> IE both supported URN resolution.  Occassionally when stricken with fever
> I consider going to work for Microsoft just to get URN resolution incorporated
> in
> to the damned browsers.....

If you are happy with a Microsoft-only solution, you could use
asynchronous pluggable protocols
as an alternative to moving to Redmond. (I assuming that you have some
code for resolving the URNs and are just looking for a way to integrate
this into the browser.) For Netscape, of course, you just need to
download, modify and build the Mozilla sources. ;-) Ease of
extensibility is one of the reasons that Microsoft won the browser wars.