   RE: XML DTD (schema) as database schema (DDL)

  • From: "Chen, Weijing" <wchen@tri.sbc.com>
  • To: "'Dharmesh'" <Dharmesh@digitalmarket.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:03:26 -0500

No. In my idea, one does not store the original XML document as regular flat
file in a system. Instead stored as a parsed DOM tree or its like in a OO
database or relational database. The query engine will do the search work on
the tree based on XML-QL from user.

This advantage is that XML is more suitable to describe application domain
and data content than SQL. One don't have to twist the model and translate
into relational database. Alternative view could be that XML to OO database
is SQL to relational database.

Weijing Chen

mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
> Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on