   Re: Is this Impossible !!

  • From: "Steven Livingstone" <ceo@citix.com>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:11:43 +0100

Marks points are what I think.

> > *Your* point about not querying XML is totally
> > valid since the database is going to do
> > that querying and sorting much faster over
> > non-trivial amounts of data than
> > doing it in an XML document.

I think we just have to look at the current search engines to see how
ineffective pure SQLcan be.
I agree it is faster, but that is where we need to think of querying *both*
SQL and XML.  It may be a perfomance impact, but this is up to the server to
do it as quickly as possible (compare 300 very good searches against the
39439246 altavista results). The client (at least in XMLRPC and SOAP) wants
a relevent answers and XML can provide this (rather than having to re-query
the response constantly++).

This is imperative for (remote) data sources. Indeed, much of my work in XML
is working with remote (wire) services where local processing speed is not
really an issue (relatively speaking).

Cheers,
Steven