   Re: Coca-Cola Data [Was RE: Is this Impossible !!]

  • From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@us.oracle.com>
  • To: "Prakash Mandgi" <pmandgi@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:49:17 -0700

If you are talking about querying a middle-tier
cache of XML documents, this technique might work,
but if you are talking about XML-enabling an
ebusiness whose systems run on ERP and CRM and
custom apps with lots of relational data lying
around, none of these customers is intested in
mass-converting their terabytes of mission-critical
data into brontobytes of persisted DOM documents
to search them in a fixed, hiearchical structure
through XPath.

A company's mission-critical business data represents
*lots* of virtual XML documents depending on the
particular point of view of the moment. Not a single,
fixed document with a single root.

Do you want a Bill of Materials for the part ordered
on line item 10 of Order #10001 ? Or an XML document
representing Order 10001 and all its line items?

The ability to pick any important thing in the
system and "make it the root" of a virtual XML
document" is a powerful concept.

Steve Muench, BC4J Development Team & XML Evangelist
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml