   RE: dtd documentation

  • From: Vane Lashua <vlashua@RSGsystems.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:43:07 -0400

1. The Earl Hood program is very consistent and widely used. You do maintain
an external file for comments.

2. In XML the ability to embed comments (with -- ... -- in dtd declarations
)  was not included (as in SGML) but you can devised enterprise-standard
ways of embedding the documentation by using

a. plain old comments ( <!-- ... --> ) between declarations

b. or CDATA sections

c. or processing instructions

d. or an entity set

e. or a small set of documentation elements defined at the head of the dtd
and used in the remainder.

None of which is standards-based.
Vane