   RE: "Multiple" Namespaces? (but NOT for HTML)

  • From: Vane Lashua <vlashua@RSGsystems.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:06:08 -0400

Aren't you doing the same thing with the namespace tag idea (except that it
won't work with an XML parser)? It seems like you _create_ the need for new
tagging. If these data tags were all derived from MARC(?) and they strictly
point to the same MARC "elements" (ha ha ha ....!), then one dtd will fit
the bill with a common definition,

<!ELEMENT (Creator|Originator|docAuthor) (...definition...)>

If you're going to keep the source tags, then you could use multiple copies
of the data, but use "dynamically generated" entities from a master dataset.
In each copy, use entity references (with unique ids) to point to entity
definitions in the same way. There are probably definitions in one
database/dtd that do not occur in others.

More than likely you will have to create an esperanto dtd and more than
likely if you have to process the data at all, you may as well process the
tags.

Vane