   Re: Declaring element more than once in a DTD with namespace ?!?

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:57:29 +0200

The question posed below suggests scoping rules for implicit attribute
bindings within a DTD. While the suggestion is plausible, no commonly
available processor will infer the necessary bindings. In order for it to
"work" one needs to be explicit about prefixes. It's important to keep in
mand, that it's not "the same element" even though the encoding in the
document may look similar.

Sebastien Sahuc wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> The main point is the 'operations' element : affiliate can have the
> operations 'get'; 'set'; 'update'; etc... while merchant has it owns
> one (different from affiliate's list).
>
> As there is no way to declare the operations element twice in a DTD, I
> was thinking that maybe namespace will allow me to do it, is it right
> ?
>
> For example :
>
> <!DOCTYPE ichannel [
>
>     <!-- ... -->
>     <!ELEMENT affiliate (id, name, operations)>
>     <!ATTLIST affiliate xmlns CDATA #FIXED
> "http://www.example.com/affiliate.xml">
>     <!ELEMENT operations (get | set)>
>     <!ELEMENT merchant (id, name,  operations)>
>     <!ATTLIST merchant xmlns CDATA #FIXED
> "http://www.example.com/merchant.xml">
>     <!ELEMENT operations (get | set | signup)>
>     <!-- ... -->
> ]>

as an alternative, consider:

 <!DOCTYPE ichannel [
     <!-- ... -->
     <!ELEMENT affiliate (id, name, operations)>
     <!ATTLIST affiliate xmlns CDATA #FIXED
 "http://www.example.com/affiliate.xml">
     <!ELEMENT a:operations (get | set)>
     <!ATTLIST a:operations xmlns:a CDATA #FIXED
 "http://www.example.com/affiliate.xml">
     <!ELEMENT merchant (id, name,  operations)>
     <!ATTLIST merchant xmlns CDATA #FIXED
 "http://www.example.com/merchant.xml">
     <!ELEMENT m:operations (get | set | signup)>
     <!ATTLIST m:operations xmlns:m CDATA #FIXED
 "http://www.example.com/merchant.xml">
 ]>

nb. i've simply duplicated the content of the respective uri. the actual value
is unimportant, so long as they differ.