   Declaring element more than once in a DTD with namespace ?!?

  • From: Sebastien Sahuc <ssahuc@imediation.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:52:10 +0200

Hello there,

The XML spec says that elements with same name cannot be declared more
than once in DTD. Fine, now, I believe Namespace can help me to
proviude a workaround.

Suppose i wanna have the following XML :
<businessobject>
	<affiliate>
		<name/>
		<email/>
		<operations>
			<get/>
		</operations>
	</affiliate>
		<name/>
		<email/>
		<operations>
			<signup/>
		</operations>
	<merchant>

	</merchant>
</businessobject>

The main point is the 'operations' element : affiliate can have the
operations 'get'; 'set'; 'update'; etc... while merchant has it owns
one (different from affiliate's list).

As there is no way to declare the operations element twice in a DTD, I
was thinking that maybe namespace will allow me to do it, is it right
?

For example :

<!DOCTYPE ichannel [

    <!ELEMENT ichannel (businessobject)>
    <!ELEMENT businessobject (affiliate,merchant,pe)>

    <!ELEMENT affiliate (id, name, operations)>
    <!ATTLIST affiliate xmlns CDATA #FIXED
"http://www.example.com/affiliate.xml">
    <!ELEMENT operations (get | set)>

    <!ELEMENT merchant (id, name,  operations)>
    <!ATTLIST merchant xmlns CDATA #FIXED
"http://www.example.com/merchant.xml">
    <!ELEMENT operations (get | set | signup)>

    <!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT id (#PCDATA)>

    <!ELEMENT get (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT set (#PCDATA)>