   Re: XML parsing performance

  • From: Vilya Harvey <vilya@nag.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:08:01 +0100

LUCIO PICOLLI wrote:
> My question is what can i do to ensure that the XML parsing is as fast as
> possible? I guess that some of the areas to be addressed are:
>  1) Using SAX

You mean, as opposed to using the DOM? This will depend on the structure of the
incoming documents and the way you intend to use it. Generally speaking, if you
can process the data as it arrives then SAX is probably the more efficient
choice; if, on the other hand, you need to be able to perform queries on the
data you may get more mileage out of the DOM. You may not need all of the
capabilities and checking of the DOM though, so you might be able to get more
efficiency out of a custom data representation.

>  2) Using attribute's instead of nodes.

This is probably a bit of a red herring, although it may have some (fairly
negligible) impact depending on the parser you use.

> What other areas should i investigate? Any help is appreciated.

- Which XML parser to use, on what platform.
- Whether you need to validate documents that you receive.

I'm sure there's plenty of other things I'm forgetting, too.

Hope that helps,
Vil.
--
Vilya Harvey  <vilya@nag.co.uk>    Wilkinson House  Mob: +44  961 106 505
Computational Mathematics Group   Jordan Hill Road   Wk: +44 1865 511 245