   Re: XML/XSL problems

  • From: Barton Stanley <barton.stanley@innovision.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:06:08 -0500

Lars,

If you are using the *printed* XML Bible, the problem may be that some of its examples have drifted out of date.  If you are using the most up-to-date versions of XT, etc, the stylesheets in the printed book may no longer work as advertised.  This is an educated guess on my part.  I have not used the printed XML Bible.  I have however seen the behavior that you describe and I was able to fix it.

The most important thing to check is the value of the 'xmlns:xsl' attribute in the 'xsl:stylesheet element'.  This attribute should have a value of "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" if your stylesheet is to work with the most up-to-date XSLT processors.  If it has any other value, you will likely get the behavior that you describe.

Try changing the value of this attribute and running the processor again.  You should not get the same behavior.

You may get errors, however.  This is because other things in XSLT may have changed as well.  You might try checking the on-line version of Chapter 14 of the XML Bible at:

  http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/updates/14.html

This is up-to-date with the October 8 draft.  This may help you sort out other errors you might get.

IE5's XSLT implementation is *very* out of date, so it (paradoxically) works with your stylesheets.

One more thing: I suggest that you post subsequent queries about XSL to xsl-list.  You can subscribe to it at

   http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

There are lots of folks there who can help. Plus, you will generally get a quicker response to XSL queries there because it is a list dedicated to XSL.

Cheers,

Barton