   Re: XML Client detection

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: rev-bob@gotc.com
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:38:29 -0800

In short, you can't just assume XHTML since you're trying to address
older "v2" browsers.  So you really do need to look at the "User-Agent"
in the HTTP request -- but it's not an "XML capable browser" issue,
just a "requires broken HTML" issue.

Again, my bias would be to treat old browsers as the exception case,
and just serve up XHTML unless you recognize an "old" browser.  (Of
course, provide an "old browser" button in the XHTML page too.)  But
whether you treat "old" or "new" as the exception is your call.

For what it's worth, I just use the "transitional" XHTML DTD since
HTML browsers don't tend to handle enough of CSS to use "strict".
I've found that providing valid XHTML tends to make browsers like
Netscape 4.x handle CSS better ... and even then, there are some
valid constructs they won't quite be happy with!  :-)

Sorry I don't have a list of such browsers, but you should be able
to have your webserver tell you about the browsers your readers use.

- Dave