   Re: dynamic XML?

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@mitretek.org>
  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:33:06 -0500

From: Dan Gunter <DKGunter@lbl.gov>
>I am working with some people who want to publish performance monitoring
>information in a standard exchange format. The details of the common
>vocabulary are still being discussed, but even at this early stage there
>are some technical questions about XML's use for such a task.
>
>One question is: assuming that the "things" being monitored, as well as
>the "characteristics" of the things being recorded, can change over
>time, is there a good way to dynamically add (even subtract) bits and
>pieces of the schema during the lifetime of the connection? I was
>thinking of something along the lines of a special couple of tags that
>tell the client to add/remove "things" or "characteristics" from its
>expected monitored events. Perhaps some of you have seen variations on
>this problem before?
>
>As a side note, XSchema looks more attractive than DTD's for this
>application (strict typing, among other things, would be nice).

I don't see that this has anything to do with DTDs or schemas.  As best I
understand you, you don't want to change the design or architecture of your
documents, you just what to change the details of the content.  This is not what
schemas are for.  If you want to change the list of monitored events, as you,
say you can just use some special tags to spell them out.  Your DTD can specify
that those specified tags are part of the document design, just like any other
tags.  The schema does not have to change just because you change the list of
items to be monitored.

Here is an analogy:  you wouldn't expect to switch from English to German  just
because you stopped monitoring parameter # 27, would you?  Well, you wouldn't
change the schema either.

Tom Passin