   Re: WML vs. XHTML

  • From: Richard Lanyon <rgl@decisionsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:21:10 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Michael Champion wrote:

> 4. As for locking people in to soon-to-be-obsolete technology, the WAP Forum
> may or may not be guilty here, I don't know.  I do STRONGLY believe that the
> underlying XML technologies let specific site builders "future proof"
> themselves by separating structure and content from form.

I think you're probably right here.

For a start, although WAP and WML were designed by the same organisation,
they're independent entities. If the mobile phone companies do one day
decide to change the underlying WAP protocols, it needn't make any
difference at all to those who provide WML content - only to those who run
a WAP gateway.

Even if they decide to change WML, most people will have implemented WML
using generic XML tools, so provided the change simply moves from the
current WML spec to some other XML spec, any problems shouldn't be too
difficult to solve.

The real problem in wireless technology as far as content providers are
concerned is figuring out the best way to display data on an incredibly
small screen...

--
Richard Lanyon (Software Engineer) |     "The medium is the message"
XML Script development,            |             - Marshall McLuhan