   Re: XHTML 1.0 returned to HTML WG

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 09:58:20 -0600

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Put it this way: if something technical truly is common sense then it
> must be simple. If it is simple it is simple to make a specification for
> it. So why not engage in that simple exercise to protect ourselves from
> lock-in?

Lock in is not as much an issue (it is a market phenomenon that is hard
avoid).

The issue is the record of authority to be cited when specifying
and procuring systems.  The record of authority is itself, a namespace
and
must be rational with respect to resolving referenced.   It was an issue
with
specifying SGML systems, as noted in another thread:  even with a
tighter
standard, we needed conformance tests to procure systems that were used
at larger scales of production.  This is the same for XML, namespaces,
etc.  We must enable professionals whose jobs are aligned with ours to
contract for systems and products of these systems without having to
be deeply aware of the technical details.

len