   Re: `server parsed' XML?

  • From: Danek Duvall <duvall@lorien.emufarm.org>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>, Richard Lanyon <rgl@decisionsoft.com>, James Robertson <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>, Vane Lashua <vlashua@RSGsystems.com>, rev-bob@gotc.com
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:52:09 -0800

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It turns out that the only option that will work for me is the PI element.
Since our program won't necessarily be running in a browser, we can't count
on javascript, and because we won't always be connecting to a web server,
we can't count on a servlet being available.  Commercial software and stuff
not written in Java is also not an option.

I'm actually currently pre-processing the file with a sed script at
installation time (it's machine name that I'm using, actually not date),
but that's only good once, and you irretrievably lose the semantic meaning
of the template text.

Another possibility is to read the file into a buffer, filter it there, and
then feed the buffer into the XML parser.  But, somehow, that just seems
wrong to me.

Thanks again for the help!

Danek