   XSL patterns give me a node--how can I find it's position?

  • From: Ben Berck <BBerck@ESPS.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:42:32 -0500

Title: XSL patterns give me a node--how can I find it's position?

I am using the (IE5) XML DOM to search for a particular node.

I use a pattern like this:
books/book[@bnum = 13241]

It correctly finds a match.  Now my question is, how do I determine the position of the found book in "books"?  bnum is not in sequential, nor is it in order.  I need to know which book it is within the books.childNodes NodeList.

Do I have to step through every element of books.childNodes and match it myself?

Thanks in advance,
Ben Berck
ESPS, Inc.