   Re: external parsed entites (was: A unique ID question ?)

  • From: "Lauren Wood" <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:21:59 -0800
On 11 Nov 99, at 1:44, David Brownell wrote:

> Perhaps the general issue is that whenever DOM starts to offer
> APIs for populating a DOM Document, there need to be options
> about what features should be exposed.  For my usage, things
> like EntityReference and CDATASection (vs normal Text) would
> hardly ever be used.
>
> Or perhaps there should be variants of Element.normalize() that
> give you other options for getting rid of extra tree nodes.
> "No adjacent text nodes" is covered.  How about flags for cases
> like "don't use EntityReference", "don't use CDATASection",
> and "don't use Comment"?

That seems like an idea worth tossing around. We'll be starting to
figure out requirements for Level 3 shortly - how about you write up
this proposal in a little more detail? We have in the past discussed
"normalizing" CDATA sections, but didn't find enough compelling
use cases, and it only takes a couple of steps for the user to do it
themselves, so it wasn't added. If you can add some compelling
use cases, that would help the case for adding yet another set of
methods to the DOM :-)

Please send any proposal to www-dom@w3.org so it's archived in
the right place, and I'll make sure the DOM WG discusses it when
we get that far.

thanks,
Lauren