   RE: Parser compliance

  • From: "Mary Brady" <mbrady@nist.gov>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:07:55 -0500

The OASIS XML Conformance Subcommittee released a draft
test suite last July.  It contains over 1000 XML tests
that can be used to test conformance to the XML 1.0
Recommendation.  These tests are publicly available
from
	http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xmltest/testsuite.htm

Dave Brownell took this test suite, developed a driver that ran the
tests through a variety of current parsers, and published the results
on XML.COM.  I don't have the url handy (XML.COM seems to be down
at the moment), but if you go to XML.COM and
search for "conformance", you can find the article.  It gives both
and summary and detailed info on many different xml processors.

With a little effort, his driver could be extended to cover
additional processors.

In addition, the test suite is also pointed to from the NIST web
site,
	http://www.nist.gov/xml/

NIST has also developed a set of DOM Level 1 tests for the
ECMAScript binding.  Tests are currently available for
ECMAScript Fundamental and Extended, and within the week,
will be available for HTML.  In all, there will be close
to 1000 tests here as well.  This test suite currently
runs in IE5, and we are working on getting it to run in
Mozilla M10.  We are also developing an equivalent set of
tests for the Java binding.

Both test suites are publicly available.  Feel free to use them
to test your implementations.  If you have any additional tests
to add to the test suite, please let us know.

Mary Brady
mbrady@nist.gov
NIST, Conformance Testing
Chair, OASIS XML Conformance Subcommittee