   Re: History

  • From: "Betty L. Harvey" <harvey@eccnet.eccnet.com>
  • To: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:51:02 -0500 (EST)

Sorry - I have to pipe in.  I have missed most of this discussion because
of system upgrades and e-mail being down for 2 1/2 days - so excuse me
if I don't get the context of these last e-mails.

Personally, I give credit to Yuri Rubinsky, President of SoftQuad until
his untimely death, to the birth of XML. I give credit to Tim Berners-Lee
for the insight to recognize that SGML was format for the Web - HTML.  He
could have chosen NROFF, RUNOFF - any of those other system formatting
languages but he chose SGML - Thank you very much.

As Len said, I spent time and a lot of hard knocks with CALS (SGML and EDI
both being part of the CALS standards.  CALS initially represented
Computer Aided Logistics Support, then Continuous Acquisition and
Lifecycle Support (change the meaning of the acronym when it becomes
political incorrect).  Before I worked for the CALS program I was
told that working in CALS was a dead-end to your career.

When the Web came into existance I was working in CALS within the Navy and
with our local Technology Transfer czar at David Taylor Model Basin.  I
was positive that SGML could not work at a reasonable cost and effort
within a large organization, such as DoD. The Technology Transfer office
funded my way to the second WWW Conference in Chicago (the first in the
U.S.). It is still the best conference I have ever attended.  The
enthusaism was incredible. I can't remember anytime in my career, before
or after, feeling so inspired.

I think I had the privilege of showing Len the WWW for the first time
at David Taylor using Mosaic on a Sun system.  After working with
complex IETM (Interactive Electronic Technical Manual) specifications
and expensive IETM unglamorous browsers the fact that Mosaic was
free, multiple platforms (unheard of until then), had a 'sexy'
display was exciting.  I tried to talk the Navy into modifying
Mosaic code (it was public domain) to support IETMs.  The climate
wasn't right in 1994 for heresy. Today most IETM projects are
Web based.

Yuri chaired a session called 'SGML on the Web'.  In my mind it
finally clicked!!  I felt so strongly about 'SGML on the Web' i.e.,
XML that I left a safe and long civil servant career to support the
'SGML on the Web' effort.

It does distress me that now that XML has become popular that the pioneers
are forgotten, especially Yuri.  He was a man who impacted not only the
web but people positively.  He was a real visionary.  I also believe he
would be really pleased about the current XML efforts.

XML is becoming prolific because it is a good technology and people
(computer scientists and marketeers) can understand it.  Even if Microsoft
hadn't embraced it (I am glad they did) it still would have been accepted
because of the other vendors who lined up to support it.  There are
several reasons that SGML didn't become very popular; (1) little vendor
support, (2) too costly, (3) too complex, and (4) personally, I believe
too esoteric.  XML is real!

Enough history - back to technical discussions.  BTW, congratulations
on XSLT and XPath!!!!  This is a major achievement.

In conclusion - thanks Charles, Yuri, TimBL and many others for their
vision!

Betty