   Re: documenting schemas/DTDs

  • From: edwsm@us.ibm.com
  • To: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@mitretek.org>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:38:26 -0500

If I strip the syntax off of the message you sent me, it might become:

    The the the if for is is in in but has not "not after" all all,
    You you what what "latent in the syntax" at at reason date plays
    valid system meaning can can't included tell (syntax), (semantics).
been

I took your message and squeezed out the structure that is required for
well-formed English (The DTD if you will that controls how nouns, verbs,
adjectives, prepositions, etc. can be combined :-).  Your words lose their
meaning (semantics) without the structure (syntax) you used to organize
them.
Also, if you took the exact same words and organized them differently, the
result could be a valid English message with a completely different
meaning.  If meaning changes with structure, then I think that structure
must contain at least some of the meaning of a message.

Syntax matters.

Ed Smierciak

"Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@mitretek.org>@ic.ac.uk on 11/19/99 10:35:19 AM

Please respond to "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@mitretek.org>