   RE: If SAX == lex, then what == yacc?

  • From: Ron Daniel <RDaniel@DATAFUSION.net>
  • To: "Anthony B. Coates" <abcoates@TheOffice.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:14:05 -0800

> "Anthony B. Coates" writes:
>
> > A thought that struck me (and probably struck many of you before me) is
> that
> > the event stream from a SAX parser is much like the token stream from a
> lexical
> > analyser, like 'lex'.  This made me wonder what the equivalent to 'yacc'
> would
> > be in this picture;

[Ron Daniel]  A tool that took a DTD and generated a SAX
DocumentHandler for parsing instances that are to conform
to the DTD. (This much is not too hard to do for basic element
and attribute declarations.)

The next step would be to add the equivalent
of yacc actions (e.g.  $$ = $1 + $2  if my memory of yacc
serves) to the DTD so that in addition to validating the
instance you can store it into a desired structure, perform
arbitrary calculations, etc.

Regards,
Ron