   RE: Linking a XML document to its schema

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:45:24 -0800

>So it seems it is best to have one XML schema reference per
>namespace that is in use in the document, right? My impression
>was that this wouldn't work with the proposal you made...

I am afraid you misunderstood.  Try working it out with an
example composite XML document.  Note that validation requires
a validating mechanism that uses 'triggering' information from
within the document or its context (MIME type, file extension,
etc).  Which information serves as the trigger is arbituary and
is subject to standardization efforts.  XML Namespace is an
option but it has drawbacks such as many-to-many relationships
between namespace and schemas.  There are other options.

>Maybe I have misunderstood something...

It happens to the best of us.  Luckily, I am not the best.  <g>

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com