   RE: What is a document?

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 16:54:12 -0800

>> Written by somebody, I forget who (sorry):
[snip]
>That was me.

OOPS!:)

>I think both of these are very good examples, but I think that the
>information you desire could not be in the fragment itself.
>The reason I used the example of returning one node in my
>would you put these restrictions?"

While some of the information could be part of the fragment,
encoded in an out-of-band namespace of sort, I think you are
right that remaining information will have to be stored
externally.  At this point, I am thinking that a sort of
'connection' or 'glue' fragment which 'includes' the target
fragment could be used.  This 'glue' fragment could be treated
exactly like the original and is an excellent place to fill-in,
override, translate some of the missing pieces in the target
fragment.  Like putting blue rubber coating over wire to indicate
its capability and than putting it a bin that provides its
purpose...  Hmm, that analogy was lacking something...

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com