   Re: Re: Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

  • From: "Michael Champion" <mike.champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: "xml" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:17:56 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <rev-bob@gotc.com>
To: xml <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 1999 6:45 AM
Subject: re: Re: Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

>.  However, I just can't see somebody  reading a web page (or any other >
document of substantial size) on their cellphone - not
> even a fairly short page.  It's that whole visual space concern that
kicked this
> thread off  to begin with

The way I see it, if the underlying source for web pages is coded in some
XML-like markup language, then stylesheets driving the WML output can
present only those elements that convey the essence of the page ... no
sidebars, supporting quotations, banner ads, etc.  You won't see the HTML
page broken up into cellphone-sized screens (which I agree is pointless).

This requires both some technology (which is rapidly becoming available) and
a change in the culture of Web page authoring, which will come if the market
demands it.  I suspect that the initial market will be for cellphone data
and short messages, not more Web-like pages, but that will seed demand for
WML-friendly markup across the board.