   Re: [SML] Re: SML ?!?

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:42:06 -0800

> > See http://www.xml.com/pub/1999/11/sml/index.html for an article
> describing
> > the SML idea and the controversy surrounding it.
>
> I noted with interest (and disagreement) the technical arguments against
> attributes.
>
> If XML is used for representing tree structures or property/value pairs,
> then, yes, attributes can give way to child elements.
>
> But if XML is used for *markup*, attributes make sense and should not be
> replaced by child elements.
> (I have made this point whenever attribute vs element discussions have
> arisen).

What if actualy there is a third way? I mean :

"XML is used for markup, where every 'marked' element  is in fact an 'object' "

 > Why? Because in *markup* there is a distinction between content and markup.
> The character data content of an element is content. The value of an
> attribute is markup. Attributes, like other markup, provide information in
> addition to the textual content.

I agree - this is very consistent. It is also consistent to say :

"we should have separate address space for code and separate
address space for data even both are just bytes".

I had a chance to write some assembly code  for both
architectures ( for the architectures where  code should live
separately from the data and for the architectures where
both code and data are considered to be 'the same' ).

I think anybody who had a comparable experience would
agree that 'mixed'  approach is *much* more convinient
for the user. Not talking about efficiency,  but only what
is less limiting.

> For example, a person thinking how to express the fact that Max is a dog
> that is black might use:
>
> <dog>
>     <name>Max</name>
>     <colour>black</colour>
> </dog>
>
> However, a person wanting to markup the text "Max" indicating that he is a
> black dog couldn't do the above. They might, instead, use:
>
> <dog colour="black">Max</dog>

What both things do - they are saying that in this place
of the document we actulay have an object Dog with some
properties.

To me - the only advantage of  attrubutes-based notation is that
is gives some information about what attribute of that
object is 'more important'.  Very misleading thing in general.
It's up to stylesheet to decide *what* is important.
( With <comment> </comment> there is also a  way to
give a priorities to comments ;-) Isn't it nice and
consistent, to consider comments to be a part of
XML content ? )

<aside>

With attributes shorthands I see a design pattern here,
very similiar to descision that have been done with
XML / SAX  design.

A couple of days ago I enjoyed the result of that  "we
know better *what* is XML document so we know that
developer will *not* need the information about ignorable
whitespace outside the root element".... ( not talking about
the comments e t.c. ). Actualy  existing SAX/XML point
of view is very contradicting. If comments are of our
interest why ignoreable whitespace outside the root
document  is *not* of our interest? Why <?xml header
is not of our interest ? If we are concerned only about the
'meanful content' or 'semantics' -  what is the difference
between comments and ignoreable whitespace ???
Both are not the content, right ? ;-)

Not talking about the XML itself, existing  XML *framework*
is inconsistent. A bit. But sometimes it hirts.

</aside>

> So if XML is being used for marking up existing textual content, attributes
> have a definite place.

Yes, attributes is a nice shorthand, like many other kludges that
XML has. I think most of kludges come from SGML world, where
people was used to prepare most of the documents manually,
it's why we have <!-- kludge, CDATA kludge, weak macroprocessor
( kludges-based ) and weak ( useless in the real life, when it
comes to ... for example XSL FO ;-)  DTD-based validation.

Because XML has different ( wider ) domain area than SGML has,
dropping all those legacy kludges may be reasonable, because
it could bye *much* more simplified and layered *framework* than
it could be done on top of XML.

There is a design pattern in every part of  every 'standard'
that  is built on top of XML and I think that pattern is a
death end. Of course, it would not die, but  from
technical-political standpoint, XML v 2 is just an issue of time
to me. XML is hyped, but it also has a *perfect* concept that
allows you to re-think how your dataflows could be managed
in some 'different' , realy componentized way.

That concept does not equals to  XML.

If *not* talking about the political issues, from technical
standpoint SML gives you comparable 'technical' benefits.

If making agreement on SML  :

-  elements and PCDATA

-  no kludges:
        use <comment> </comment>
        no macroprocessing
        no attributes
        no weak DTD's

we'l have .... well ... it's

Some mix of elements and PCDATA.

( with maybe <BR/> shorthand. The
only stuff I like... even it causes so many
problems with <BR></BR> .... Maybe
it should be dropped also ).

Maybe it should be also  UTF-something
based and there are some questions about
whitespace.

And it is still XML!

Anyway - such SML could be the perfect
level 0 of that hypotetical 'killer' framework.

Most of the existing ( too-bloated-to-fit-into-cell-phone )
layers  could be replaced and there could be some
amazing software built on top of it.

XML-based XT would not fit easily into the cell phone
SML-based XT would fit  with no problem.

XML-based PDOM on top of SQL could not be
created in a reasonable time.
SML-based PDOM on top of SQL is doable.

Not talking about XT,  embeded into any
program, like regular expressions are
e t.c.

I think kludges should die. After 7 years of
perl development ( full of kludges, you know )
I know for sure that it is a death end ( like
PL/1 was )

If the thing is 'not-easy-embeddable'  - it's bloated,
It's not a nice  ground. I'm not using perl anymore -
only for some temporary hacks. After 7 years ...
It's so hard for me to explain why perl is bad,
because people are returning me the same
words I told them for 7 years ;-) It's
also very  hard for me to explain why XML
is not perfect, because for last year I was an
XML evangelist ;-)

As far as I remember  from the history of  FOP,
at some point you have switched from perl to
Python ( it think it was because there was no
JPython at that point  ;-) ).

It was very reasonable step from my point of
view.  ;-)

Rgds.Paul.