   Re: [SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:54:35 -0800

> <notice>If the following makes you laugh, that's OK with me.</notice>
>
> Everything inside a start tag declares attribute values, including the
> tag name.  The tag name is accurately regarded as the value of the
> element's one and only nameless attribute.  Every element must have a
> value for its nameless attribute -- even SML elements.
>
> The value of the nameless attribute (the "tag name" or "generic
> identifier") is only minimally constrained; it can be can be almost
> any token, and its value can be used for any application-defined
> purpose whatsoever.
>
> Therefore, if anyone thinks SML can be made to work entirely without
> attributes, they should think again.  Attributes are of the essence of
> markup, and you can't get rid of them entirely.

Why?

> Since we can't get rid of them entirely, where should SML draw the line,
> and why?

Because avoiding the difference between attributes and elements
simplifyes the addressing and *every* realted API ( Xpath, Xslt, DOM,
XQL e t.c. )  a *lot*  + it  avoids 'multiple levels of encoding' problems e t.c.

> Personally, I'm not easily persuaded that parsing an "=" sign is so
> very difficult that it deserves to be discarded in the name of
> simplicity.

This is not a problem. The problem is on the next level of
framework, when we should care about attributes/elements.

Rgds.Paul.