   RE: [SML] Preliminary EBNF for SML

  • From: Tony Graham <tgraham@mulberrytech.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 01:59:35 -0400 (EST)

At 26 Nov 1999 17:20 -0800, Don Park wrote:
 > Internationalization is also less of a problem than you
 > think.  Translating English name to foreign words usually
 > results in a weird words.  Just ask any foreigner with
 > foreign version of Windows if the menu commands made good
 > sense to them when they first started using it.  The fact
 > is that when a person learns how to use computers in non-
 > English speaking countries, they have to learn a whole new
 > set of words consisting of old or uncommon words overloaded
 > with new meanings.
 >
 > Also, we are going to have a big problem with schema
 > differences in the future and I would rather not have
 > foreign language variations of common tags like <name> and
 > <address> in the pot as well.

Well, it often seems to me that the U.S. is not an English-speaking
country, and compared to English, American spelling shows a lot of
foreign language variations.  When we choose the one, true set of
common tags, it's nice to know we'll have <colour>, not <color>.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632