   RE: RE: Why no ']]>' in CharData?

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 01:20:23 -0800

>> Not too many folks noticed it but I removed the hex
>numerical character
>> references in the preliminary EBNF.  I prefer hex but didn't like the
>> extra 'x' to get there.  I can go with either hex or decimal but not
>> both.
>
>Why on earth not?  I hope you're not going to plead processor
>power or complexity of coding; I remember writing this conversion
>in my sleep on ye olde Apple II, lo these many years ago.
>Considering that my $100 palmtop has much more memory than even
>my old revved-up Apple clone ever did (and probably more
>computing power), I just can't realistically credit this argument.

I just do not see the point of offering both hex and decimal.
Convenience doesn't fly since writer might be used to hex and
the reader might be used to decimal.

Unless someone can offer a compelling reason for supporting both,
I am sticking with my view.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com