   RE: A call for reason

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 05:42:27 -0800

>But I start to be quite worried at the idea that for whatever reason
>SML documents may turn not being a well formed XML one, c.f.:
>
>http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Nov-1999/1143.html

The message Daniel quoted was mine asking opinions on the
idea of removing the name production rule from WF constraints.

My intent was that there is no real need to make sure that all
the characters in the tag name are valid characters especially
since the valid character set is rather beastly.

Rick Jeliffe who was largely responsible for that valid name
character set wanted to remove the invalid name error reporting
requirement but was apparently voted down by XML WG.  I am
just proposing that same idea again.  If SML processors are
not required to report the error, then there is no need to
check each character anymore which will speed things up and
take up less space.

Net result is that SML data will be well-formed but invalid
name error will not be reported.  Is this too much to ask?

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com