   RE: A call for reason

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:15:03 -0800

>Excellent point, and I'll take that as a call to change the
>approach.  Instead of starting from first principles to
>identify the 'simple' subset, we probably ought to empirically
>identify the 'simple' subset predominantly now in use.

Joe,

I like this line of thinking and would like to see it
progress further.  Result should hopefully be a list
of firmer goals/requirements.

Everyone who are interested in SML are here mainly because
of its relationship to XML.  SML discussions have been
drifting somewhat away from XML so I would like to see
if this thread will help us get back to the original intent:
SML is a subset of XML.

Lately, I have been trying to gain a different perspective
by thinking what if SML was here first and XML was actually
SML 2.0?  This line of thinking adds a rather interesting
appreciation of attributes.

I hope you don't mind if I stay back in the background for
a while to observe because I found it rather difficult to
see things objectively while trading blows at the frontline.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com