   RE: A call for reason, another go [SML et al]

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:51:21 -0800

>In other words, SML may fill a very narrow niche that is
>probably better served by paying a small penalty in
>complexity and size. Is SML a three-week-old spam?

Vane,

There is no need to resort to vanity, Vane.  For
what purpose would I spam XML-DEV?  All the discussions
that took place were valuable in that they allowed us
to examine many aspects of XML which were taken for
granted before.  I wrote sometime ago in a message
titled "Feeling good about SML":

"Whether SML is the voice of reason or treason, it struck
a cord in the mind of many of us.  Whether the need for SML
is illusional or practical, it merits further investigations
and thus require investment in terms of time and efforts.  By
time and effort, I include the patience and continued vigilence
of those XML-DEV subscribers who disagree with the SML idea."

Frankly, I am somewhat dismayed by the lack of vision and
paranoia over the supposedly endangered future of XML.  Has
it ever occurred to anyone that messages asking me and others
to stop working on SML is just plain weird?  Is XML-DEV turning
into a political organization in charge of protecting XML from
mutants and anything that dares to use angled brackets?  I am
rather alarmed by all this.  Is XML so vulnerable that even all
the media hype over XML is still not enough?  Where is Darwin
in all this?

Everyone assumes that homes in the future will be fully
automated but how will all the electronic gadgets talk to
each other?  Will the porch light scream at the doormat because
it sent invalid tag names?  "Sorry, the guy's shoes stutters!"

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com